Controlled Burn Regulations
December 13, 2006
Reviewed April 2010
To: All Participating Municipalities of SKCFA
From: SKCFA Board and Chief McMillan
RE: Burning Ordinance Guidelines
The DNR states that no burning shall occur within 1,400 feet from the boundary of an incorporated city or village. The DNR policy will be the guidelines used by the Authority for enforcement. If needed, each municipality will need to make a resolution to their current burning ordinances.
Listed below are the procedure the Authority has for issuing burn permits:
Wakeshma and Prairie Ronde Townships –
- Residents requesting a burn permit must contact the Authority office to obtain permission.
Brady and Schoolcraft Townships –
- Burn permits are issued by the Township Offices using the forms designed by the Department of Natural Resources. The completed forms are then faxed to the Authority office.
Village of Schoolcraft –
- Burn permits will be issued by the Village Office using the forms designed by the Department of Natural Resources. The completed forms are then faxed to the Authority office.
Village of Vicksburg –
- A no burning ordinance is written for the Village of Vicksburg and will be enforced as described.
February 28, 2007
Reviewed April 2010
Guideline for Allowable Recreational Burning Containers
- Must be made of non-combustible material.
- Must not exceed 3’x 3’ in size.
- Will be placed no closer than 10 feet from any building structure.
- Container will be no closer than 10 feet from any fences and/or property line.
- Can not be placed in the road way or right of way.
- Flame height shall not exceed 24” at anytime.
- At no time will any rubbish, garbage, or non virgin fuels to be used to light or be burnt in the fire.
- At no time will brush piles be burnt within any Village or City limit, or Restricted area.
- All fires must be attended by an adult at all times.
- Any alterations to an approved container must be re-approved.